How Do I Get Rid Of Roaches Quickly And Easily In Charlotte
March 5, 2023
Thanks to our beautiful, mild climate and the close proximity our houses are to one another, cockroaches have become a major problem for Charlotte residents. Hundreds of homeowners struggle to rid their homes of these disgusting little invaders every year. Cockroaches prefer temperatures above 72 degrees Fahrenheit and places with access to moisture and plenty of food, and our homes, unfortunately, fit the bill precisely.
Cockroaches are one of the oldest types of insects on earth and, over the millennia, have developed into veritable survival and infiltration machines. They can live over a week without a head, regrow limbs, and have an immune system that will shrug off almost all pesticides. Add to that being able to run faster than 12 feet per second, withstand pressures of over 50 times their body weight, and multiply with lightning speed, and it's easy to see why cockroaches are some of the most dreaded pests that can invade your home.
If you're starting to spot the following signs, you're likely dealing with a cockroach infestation:
- Small cylindrical cockroach droppings.
- Egg capsules, sometimes glued to the surfaces.
- Shed skins and wings.
- Musty pheromone smell produced by cockroaches.
Let's take a look at what types of cockroaches you can expect to run into in your Charlotte home, how to keep cockroaches away, and, if that fails, where to find quality pest control in Charlotte.
The Types Of Cockroaches That Invade Charlotte Homes
There are over 4000 species of cockroaches worldwide, but thankfully, most have no interest in us or our homes. If you're starting to see signs of a cockroach infestation, you're most likely dealing with the following three species:
- American cockroaches are one of the largest species, growing up to 2 1/8 inches long. They have oval-shaped reddish-brown bodies with a yellow figure eight mark on the back of their heads. These roaches prefer warm and dark environments, such as around the drain of your kitchen or bathroom sinks.
- German cockroaches are smaller, 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch, with light brown bodies sporting two dark stripes on their backs. German cockroaches, similar to American cockroaches, seek out warm, dark, and moist places.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are around 1/2 an inch long with brown-colored bodies and two light brown bands on their backs. You're most likely to spot them in locations high up in your home, cabinets, attics, etc.
Why Cockroaches Are Considered So Dangerous
Cockroaches in Charlotte spend most of their time in just about the most unhygienic places imaginable, so when they start roaming your house, looking for food, they contaminate every surface they come in contact with. While they will not bite (at most, you can get scratched by their legs), the bacteria and pathogens they expose you to look like a list of who's who of the world's worst epidemics:
- Typhoid fever
- E. coli infection
People with weaker immune systems or asthma can experience severe allergic reactions or asthma attacks when exposed to cockroach droppings and saliva.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Cockroaches
Cockroaches, like most any other invasive pests, are motivated by two factors; wanting to find a reliable and easily accessible food source and a comfortable place to set up camp. The following tips will help you make your home as unattractive to cockroaches are possible:
- Seal off any cracks or crevices in the walls and foundation to remove cockroach infiltration pathways.
- Make sure the screens on doors and windows are in good shape.
- Clean crumbs and spills immediately to avoid attracting cockroaches.
- Make sure trash cans are sealed tightly and dispose of garbage regularly.
- Store human and pet food in sealed containers.
- Fix any plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
- Install mesh screens over vents.
Cockroaches can squeeze through openings barely wider than a coin and fly through an open window, but if you remove reasons for cockroaches to want to go in and make getting in harder than average, there is an excellent chance they will find other places to go.
The Secret To Getting Rid Of Cockroaches Fast!
If you're starting to suspect a cockroach infestation regardless of preventative measures, it's time to get in touch with a professional! A single cockroach egg left untreated can be a start of a full-blown infestation down the road. At Aruza Pest Control, we've been helping Charlotte residents evict unwanted pests from their homes for over 20 years. We have the tools and experience needed to clear cockroaches out of your Charlotte home and ensure they will not be coming back.