How To Get Rid Of Carpenter Ants On Your Charlotte Property
January 15, 2022
Carpenter ants can be a Charlotte homeowner’s worst nightmare. These little pests are capable of weakening entire homes and other structures simply because of their preference to burrow through wood. The first step to identifying a carpenter ant is to learn how to identify the ant itself.
Carpenter ants are either red or black and can be ⅜ to ½ an inch long. They vary in size as there are different categorizations of workers, but are all typically within that length range. The queens may grow up to be an inch long and will usually have wings.
Why Carpenter Ants Are Dangerous
Aside from no one liking the idea of ants (or any kind of insect) in their home, if you had to choose a pest to find in your home, carpenter ants would not be the kind you would pick. Below are some reasons why carpenter ants in Charlotte are one of the most dangerous types of ant infestations to have in your home:
- They can weaken the structural integrity of your home. As their namesake might suggest, carpenter ants chew through any kind of wood and build their nests within it. The more colonies you have building nests in your home, the weaker the structural integrity of your house will become.
- Food contamination. Carpenter ants will travel great lengths when foraging for food. Like most ants, they will happily chew through boxes and plastic to get to your food, making a mess in your pantries and cupboards and contaminating your food. They will search high and low for crumbs and spills as well.
- Bites. perhaps the only thing going for carpenter ants is that they do not spread diseases to humans via biting as other insects might. However, their bites are still extremely painful, and mimic bee stings.
How To Prevent Carpenter Ant Infestations
Prevention is key when dealing with carpenter ants in Charlotte. There are several steps one can take to ensure carpenter ants do not try to take up residence within the wooden beams and boards of your home. To avoid carpenter ant damage to your home, here are some ideas:
- Seal up entry points. There are multiple ways carpenter ants might find access to your home, so be sure to seal up voids in wooden boards, in the foundation, in electric wires, pipes, and telephone lines. Ants are creative, so be sure to look for all the places they might see as an opportunity to chew through and build a nest.
- Trim back shrubs in the garden. To help avoid carpenter ants from really considering your house at all, be sure to trim back any shrubs and bushes in your garden and make sure there are no branches touching the house.
- Fix moisture issues. Wood that has been softened by water or moisture is most appealing to carpenter ants, so addressing any leaks or moisture issues is one of the best ways to prevent carpenter ants from invading your home.
There are many more prevention tips out there to avoid carpenter ant damage to your home, but one of the best things to do is contact Aruza Pest Control and set up a time for one of our expert technicians to come out and assist you with implementing prevention strategies. Our experience with dealing with carpenter ants over the years has helped us develop a keen eye for all the ways carpenter ants might be able to get into your home and the signs of carpenter ants that may already be there.
What To Do If You Already Have An Infestation
If you believe you already have a carpenter ant infestation or are seeing signs of carpenter ants, it is important to contact Aruza Pest Control as soon as possible! Do not try to handle an infestation yourself; because of the dangers these ants present to the foundation and integrity of your home, it can be dangerous to try to remove them on your own, especially if the infestation is more advanced.
With 20 years of experience, the team at Aruza Pest Control will dispatch one of our highly trained technicians to your home and help assess the damage that has been caused. From there, we will implement proven eradication techniques to ensure that not only will any structural integrities not worsen, but that the ants will not return to try again. That’s the Aruza Pest Control promise!