Spiders In Charlotte: How To Keep Them Out Of Your Home
July 29, 2022
There are 48 spider species in North Carolina, all posing varying levels of danger. Most spiders that Charlotte residents will encounter are not harmful, but some will deliver a dreadful bite. Aruza Pest Control can help identify the most common spiders you may come across residing in Charlotte. We provide safe, effective pest control in Charlotte to keep your home spider-free all year long.
What Kind Of Spiders Might I Encounter In Charlotte?
There are so many different types of spiders in North Carolina, it would be a large task to list them all. Instead, here are some of the most common spiders you may find in your Charlotte home, starting with the three most dangerous:
- Brown recluse: These small tan spiders are non-aggressive but will bite if threatened. Their bite can result in tissue necrosis if left untreated, and many people report feeling ill and experiencing joint pain after a brown recluse bite.
- Black widow: Adult female black widows can be identified by their red hourglass marking. People who have been bitten by this spider report nausea, vomiting, tremors, and skin rash.
- Yellow sac spider: This spider is often mistaken for a brown recluse. Its body is a translucent yellow, and it is mildly venomous. Typically, people who experience a bite from these pests will develop a blister at the bite site.
- Wolf spider: Wolf spiders look terrifying, but they are not venomous. They are covered in tiny grey and brown hairs and have interesting spotted and striped markings.
- Cellar spider: These spiders have long, thin legs and are often found in dark, damp places like cellars, as their name suggests. They aren’t known to bite humans.
There are many common house spiders in North Carolina, but the good news is that there are only three species you’ve got to worry about; the rest are simply nuisances.
Are Most House Spiders Dangerous?
Most house spiders are not dangerous. The three you must watch out for are the brown recluse, black widow, and yellow sac spider. The rest offer many helpful advantages outside of your home, including feeding on other pests.
However, the benefits of spiders are often lost when they show up unexpectedly in your home. To some people, the natural fear of spiders outweighs any benefits their presence could have. To give you some peace of mind, let’s look at ways to deter spiders from your home.
Five Ways To Deter Spiders In Charlotte
There are a few things you can do in and around your house to prevent spiders in your home. Pest prevention starts outside and works its way inside.
Below is a list of five different ways to prevent spiders from entering your home and yard:
- Like many other pests out there in the world, there are plants spiders hate. Basil, lavender, rosemary, citronella, lemon balm, and chrysanthemums are just a few you can plant in your yard, or keep as house plants, to deter spiders.
- There are scents that repel spiders too. You can use the essential oils of basil, lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus, peppermint, cedar, and citronella in your home. Generally, they aren’t a fan of citrus scents and lemon works the best.
- Make it impossible for them to enter your home. Check weatherstripping and replace it if you see it has degraded. Check for cracks around the foundation and tears in mesh screens. General home maintenance and upkeep will help keep pests at bay.
- Keep the rooms of your home tidy. Spiders don’t like to be left out in the open; they like to hide inside around the clutter of a home.
- If you are unafraid of spiders, you can always use the catch and release method. There are even long poles and vacuums that contain the spider, which you can then walk to the edge of your property and let go.
Not every method will work for everyone, and fear of spiders is a very real phobia. If you’re having trouble with spiders on your property, let our pest control professionals go to work for you.
Total Spider Control For Your Home Or Business
At Aruza Pest Control, we are committed to successful pest control at your home and commercial property. We value our team and put integrity first to ensure the best possible outcomes for our customers. If you’ve got a spider problem that you can’t handle, don’t hesitate to reach out. Our spider control services will keep your home pest-free all year long.