The Trick To Keeping Ants Out Of Your Charlotte Home
May 7, 2021
Ants are one of the most common pest problems in Charlotte, North Carolina. These small, pesky home-invaders are known for being invasive and difficult to remove, and some of them are more of an issue than others.
In Charlotte, there are a few species that commonly make their way inside of homes including odorous house ants, pavement ants, carpenter ants, and Argentine ants. While some of these are considered nuisance species, others can pose health risks or cause property damage.
Here is a brief guide to identifying ants in the area:
- Odorous house ants: These ants are dark brown or black, and their bodies can look almost striped. The best way to identify them is by the smell of rotten coconuts they emit when crushed.
- Pavement ants: This species is black and is usually found outside near sidewalks. They are mostly just a nuisance species.
- Carpenter ants: The carpenter ant is one of the worst species to deal with because they cause property damage as they chew through wooden structures to build their nests. They are dark brown with strong forceps next to their mouths.
- Argentine ants: These ants are dark brown or black, and they can be identified by the 12 segments on their antennae. They are one of the more invasive species in the area.
Because ants can be extremely difficult to remove once they infest your home, the best way to go about controlling ant populations is to take preventive measures.
Tips For Keeping Ants Out
The first and easiest overall step to take when preventing ants is to address the areas around your home where they can get inside. While ants are very small and able to fit through many cracks and holes, you can make it more difficult for them to find access to the building by:
- Removing or replacing any broken screens in doors and windows.
- Installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Sealing up holes in the walls and foundation with caulk or foam.
- Making sure to remove holes and gaps around where pipes and wires enter the building.
Three Tips To Make Your Home Less Appealing To Ants
The other main way to prevent ants is to take the necessary measures to remedy the factors that attract them in the first place. These three steps can reduce or eliminate the reasons why ants want to come inside your home:
- Focus on proper trash storage. Ants are attracted to food waste, so make sure to place lids on all trash cans. Also, take out the trash frequently.
- Always keep kitchen areas cleaned. Even small crumbs can attract ants, so make sure to clean up any spills or crumbs right away. Also, regularly clean the floors.
- Give the kitchen a deep clean. On a routine basis, make sure to clean out under heavy appliances and inside of cupboards and pantries.
Get The Best In Total Ant Control
Taking steps on your own to keep ants from coming inside your Charlotte home is important and helpful, but the most effective way to prevent ants as well as remove them is with help from the experts at Aruza Pest Control.
You can trust our 20 years of combined experience and our commitment to reliable, professional pest control that really works. Find out more and get started right away by giving us a call at (888) 609-8447.