Getting Ready For The Return Of Paper Wasps In Charlotte
Managing Paper Wasp Threats: Essential Tips and Professional Services from Aruza Pest Control
Seeing a wasp instills a feeling of panic for most homeowners. Like most wasps, paper wasps are long, slender, and narrow-waisted. Often confused with yellow jackets or hornets, paper wasps can be brown with yellow markings or reddish-brown with smoky black wings that are kept folded lengthwise when at rest. Adults grow to be ½ to one inch in length.
Also known as umbrella wasp, this species of wasp is named accordingly for how it builds its nest. The paper wasp nest is made from paper-like material and is known as an open nest because its cells remain uncovered. The nests are constructed with upside-down brood cells supported by a single stalk that resembles an upside-down umbrella.
The Good With The Bad
Paper wasps have a bad reputation. They deliver a painful sting and are a species that possesses the ability to sting an unlimited amount of times. If provoked, paper wasps will still repeatedly. For some, these stings are simply painful. For others, they pose the risk of an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock if left untreated.
While repeated stings are nobody’s idea of a good time there are several positive traits of paper wasps:
- Paper wasps do not present a danger unless their nest is disturbed.
- They leave after the first frost and do not return to the same nesting site.
- Paper wasp nests do not cause structural damage to buildings.
- Paper wasps are voracious predators and reduce populations of several residential and agricultural pests.
- They are especially valuable near vegetable gardens where they provide natural and free control of caterpillars.
How To Keep Paper Wasps Away
There are several ways to help make your Charlotte property less attractive to paper wasps and other stinging insects. Reduce your exposure to possible stings by exercising the following precautions:
- Keep areas in and around your home clean of debris and clutter.
- Keep food covered, especially outside.
- Seal cracks and crevices in your home with silicone-based caulk.
- Repair tears in screens.
- Keep doors closed to prevent paper wasps from entering the home.
- Avoid flowering plants.
- Avoid wearing strong fragrances.
- Wear shoes to protect your feet.
- Before trimming shrubs, trimming hedges, or picking fruit, check plants for hidden wasp nests.
Despite your best efforts to stay away from wasps, at some point, you will likely find yourself around these insects. If you find yourself face to face with a paper wasp (or paper wasp nest) try the following to avoid a painful sting:
- Raise your hands to protect your face.
- Remain calm and stand still momentarily before slowly moving away.
- Never swing or strike or run away rapidly.
- Do not spray nests with water.
- Avoid making loud noises near a nest.
- If a paper wasp gets into your car while driving slowly pull over and open the car windows and doors.
Contact the Professionals
Protect your family from our area’s most common pests with the help of Aruza Pest Control. For pests that are more than an annoyance, we will design a customized plan to fit your needs.
Call today to request a free quote for full yard protection and wasp nest removal. We will inspect your Charlotte property and provide a treatment that fits. If more than an occasional pest shows back up between services, we will come back and retreat free of charge.
Our service professionals will educate you and your family so that you know what to expect from each service. You will also know how to respond if pest activity persists in your home. Before treating your home, we will make note of current pest issues, find entry points, and identify other conditions that will contribute to a future infestation.
We also offer eco-friendly and organic pest control options that use essential oils to knock down pests. Partner with the professionals at Aruza Pest Control to take back your home today.