Charlotte Homeowners Guide To Preventing Winter Pests
December 26, 2019
What is worse than having unexpected guests around the holidays, especially when the guests bring problems with them? Of course, we are not talking about human guests – we are talking about pest guests, such as tiny bugs, rodents, and creatures looking to use your home as their winter getaway. If you know what we are talking about and are looking for a way to keep pests out of your Charlotte home this winter, we have a comprehensive guide that should do the trick.
Problems That Winter Pests Cause
Winter pests do not enter your home intent on causing trouble; trouble is just a part of their nature. To them, eating food off your counters is acceptable and in no way puts you or your family at risk of the dangerous diseases they are carrying. Pests like rodents don’t think twice when they carry fleas and ticks into your home, despite being annoyed with them themselves.
Pests also don’t think twice before harming your home. If a pest needs to use the bathroom or excrete a substance from their body, they will do so wherever they like, even on your expensive sofa or bed linens. If a pest hungers for wood, it will feel no remorse while chewing away at your home’s structure. We could go on, but to save you the stress, we will stop here. All you need to know is that pests are not a problem to be taken lightly.
Why Pests Like Invading During The Winter
For most pests, winter invasion is simply a necessity. They cannot survive out in the cold so they seek refuge within our warm homes. It is only once they have gotten inside that they realize the paradise they have found. Apart from the threatening-looking giants walking around (us), our homes provide many pests all of their basic needs. Your home, for instance, is constantly being restocked with food for pests to feed on and flowing with liquids for them to drink. It is even equipped with space between walls and ceilings for pests to hide and take shelter. Long story short, if a pest comes inside looking for warmth and finds paradise, there is little to no chance they will ever leave.
How To Keep Pests Out
By this point, you are probably ready to learn how to keep winter pests out of your home. Here is the most comprehensive guide to winter pest prevention we could muster up:
1. Start with your yard. Make sure it is clear of clutter and debris; the fewer places pests have to hide, the better.
2. Address any damage or openings into your home. Use a caulking gun to seal cracks in your home’s foundation, spacing along window and door frames, as well as gaps around utility piping entering into your home. Some other things you can do include repairing broken window and door screens, installing door sweeps under exterior doors, and placing wire screens inside ventilation shafts and gutter drains.
3. Do you best to limit pests' access to food. This can be done by making sure trash cans have tight-fitting lids along with storing leftover foods inside airtight containers. Some other things you can do include cleaning regularly, limiting the number of rooms you eat food in and picking up pet food and water bowls before going to bed at night.
4. Address moisture issues. To do this, start by fixing any leaks around your home. Then make sure your gutters are in good working order. Finish by installing dehumidifiers around the humid areas of your home.
5. Eliminate harborage opportunities. To do this, try to reduce clutter around your home and straighten up storage areas so they allow as little room for pests to hide as possible.
6. Get a professional pest control provider involved. There is nothing better you can do to keep pests out of your home than to get a professional involved. They will set up a line of defense against pests that supersedes any of the above steps and ensures your home has the best chance possible to remain pest-free.
Why Choose Aruza Pest Control?
When it comes to providing quality pest control services, there is no-one better for the job than Aruza Pest Control. Our team of pest service experts have the tools and expertise to properly remove and keep unwanted winter visitors out of your home. Reach out to us today to find the best plan to keep your home pest-free.