The Trick To Keeping Flies Out Of Your Charlotte Home
October 14, 2020
Flies are arguably the most annoying pests you could ever have inside your Charlotte home. For one, flies have no sense of personal space. They will crawl around on your TV while you are trying to enjoy your favorite show, eat food off your plate right in front of you, and even land on you while you are trying to take a nap. If you are tired of dealing with flies, we have some prevention tips for you today. Here is everything you need to know to keep flies out of your Charlotte home.
Common Flies Around Charlotte
There are a few different species of flies known for invading and causing trouble around homes here in Charlotte. This is what you need to know about each.
Cluster Flies: Cluster flies are what you picture when you hear the word fly, but they are just a bit bigger. These light to dark grey insects measure in at about eight to ten millimeters long and have bright red eyes. Significantly larger than house flies, cluster flies most commonly enter homes in search of food and shelter.
Blow Flies: Blow flies are best known for their metallic bodies, red eyes, and pale coloration. Maggots is another name for bow fly larvae. These are common pests found in decaying sources of food.
Fruit Flies: Fruit flies are tiny tan to black flies with dark eyes and transparent wings. Inside homes, fruit flies will infest over-ripened fruits and vegetables where they will lay their eggs. A single female fruit fly can lay up to 500 eggs, all of which will hatch in as little as 24-30 hours.
Where Flies Hang Out
Flies are not the cleanest of pests, they like to hang out around generally filthy areas. Trash, sewage, and rotting animal carcasses are all frequent hangouts for flies looking to get a good meal. Although eating nasty things may seem great to flies, this type of behavior poses some serious problems for humans. For one, trash, sewage, and dead or decaying organisms carry dangerous bacteria and pathogens. These dangerous sickness vectors are picked up on the feet of flies and spread onto surfaces throughout homes. Dysentery, diarrhea, cholera, and epidemic conjunctivitis are all common sicknesses that are spread by flies.
How To Prevent Flies
Not all flies are attracted to homes by the same factors. This makes prevention a bit difficult, but not impossible. Here is what we recommend you do to keep all three types of common area flies out of your home.
- Seal up cracks, openings, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation and around window and door frames using a caulking gun.
- Make sure all of your home’s weatherstripping is in good condition.
- Repair or replace ripped or torn window/door screens.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps.
- Keep unscreened windows and doors closed as much as possible.
- Turn off exterior lights before going to bed, or invest in insect-resistant light bulbs.
- Clean inside your home regularly.
- Limit the number of rooms where you eat and drink to just one or two.
- After meals, store leftover food inside airtight glass, metal, or plastic containers.
- Pick up after your pets, and wash out their food and water bowls before going to bed at night.
- Keep fruits and vegetables sealed inside airtight bags or in the refrigerator.
For assistance in keeping flies out of your Charlotte home, consider the benefits of a general pest control plan. At Aruza Pest Contol, we offer several high-quality and effective plans to keep flies and many other pests from invading your Charlotte home.
Give our team a call to discuss your options and to find a solution that best suits your needs.