What To Do About Hornet Infestations In Your Charlotte Yard
April 20, 2022
With spring in full swing and the weather warming up nicely, chances are you've noticed an increase of activity from stinging insects in Charlotte. Pests like bees and wasps are hard at work preparing their nests for new members of their colonies, but what about hornets? You may be surprised to learn that hornets aren't native to North America, yet neighborhoods on the eastern seaboard are plagued by one species in particular – the European hornet.
This larger, menacingly aggressive species is indeed very dangerous to have around your property, making pest control in Charlotte crucial for maintaining a safe environment for you and your family. You'll want to learn effective hornet and wasp prevention for these pests, but if you're already dealing with an infestation, you may soon discover that the best way to get rid of wasps and hornets in Charlotte is with the help of Aruza Pest Control.
How To Tell Hornets Apart From Bees And Wasps
Given the multiple similarities between stinging insects in Charlotte, it can be challenging to notice the differences they possess as well, but it's not impossible:
- Wasps and hornets have more defined waists
- Hornets and bees are at least somewhat covered in tiny fuzzy hairs
- Hornets are largest, followed by wasps, then bees
- Hornets are much stockier and robust than wasps, which are more sleek and slender
- Wasps and hornets sting multiple times, while bees can only sting once
You may be wondering why European hornets were mentioned by name and not bald-faced hornets, but the answer is relatively simple – bald-faced hornets aren't hornets. They are stockier in size and possess tiny hairs on their thoraxes, but they're a type of wasp. The only true hornet species in North America is the European hornet. Since both wasps and hornets can sting multiple times, though, you'll want to find dependable pest control in Charlotte in the event of an infestation.
What Keeps Hornets Away From Charlotte Properties?
We don't just handle pest exterminations at Aruza Pest Control. We offer preventative treatments as well. That said, if you're looking for ways to minimize the risk of bees, wasps, and hornets infesting your property on your own, then there are plenty of all-natural hornet and wasp prevention tips to utilize:
- Make sure your lawn is draining properly by aerating the soil
- Keep tight-fitting lids on all indoor and outdoor trash cans
- Clean up outdoor cooking and dining areas immediately after eating
- Try not to over-water your garden, and make sure there aren't any leaky faucets around your home
- Limit the number of flowering plants in your garden
- If you have fruit trees on your property, pick up fallen fruits regularly
- Try adding plants to your garden that deter stinging insects – wormwood, clove, citronella, pennyroyal, geranium, chamomile, lemongrass, sweet marjoram, marigold
- Fill in any ground holes around your property and seal up potential entry points around the exterior of your home
Does Professional Pest Control Help With Hornets?
Professional pest control doesn't just help with hornets, it's also encouraged. Stinging insects are dangerous pests to have around your property, allergy or not, but it really depends on the pest control company you hire. Whether you're dealing with hornets, bees, or different types of wasps, we can guarantee that the best way to get rid of wasps in Charlotte is with our pest experts at Aruza Pest Control. Even though they're dangerous pests, we understand that stinging insects are still beneficial to the environment, so we always use the best eco-friendly pest control products in our treatments. Pest control doesn't have to be harmful to be effective, so if you're looking for an environmentally-friendly solution to your dangerous pest problems, then get in contact with us today to discuss your options.