Why Are There So Many Flies In My Charlotte Home?
Protecting Your Charlotte Home from Fly Infestations: Prevention Tips and Professional Solutions
When the weather starts to get hotter, flies often become a major pest problem for many homeowners. Flies are one of the most prevalent household pests, and there are many different species. Each individual species will vary somewhat in appearance and behavior, but they do share some commonalities including the fact that they can be very annoying and invasive.
However, the truth is that some flies are more dangerous than others as they can transmit illnesses that they pick up from things like rotting garbage or decaying animal carcasses. They carry these pathogens into your home. One of the most common species of fly in Charlotte, North Carolina is the house fly, and they transmit up to 100 known pathogens including typhoid.
In general, you can identify flies from other flying insects by the fact that they have only one pair of wings instead of two. They are also known for their short lifespans and for being able to reproduce quickly. Flies are usually grey to black and have large, protruding eyes.
How Do Flies Get Inside?
Flies are usually attracted to a property because they are looking for food sources, and there is a wide range of things they will eat. While they are attracted to human food items such as meats or sweet-smelling varieties like sugary drinks and cereals, they are also attracted to rotting and decaying matter including garbage. They eat many disgusting options including feces and dead animals, too.
The other big issue with flies is that they can be difficult to completely keep out. They can enter a home through many small cracks or holes, and they often get in through broken screens or open windows.
Seven Fly Prevention Tips
While flies can be a hard pest to prevent and control, there are some things you can do to make your property less attractive to them. Here are the overall best ways to protect your home from flies:
- As flies are attracted to garbage, make sure to cover trash cans with lids and take out the garbage often.
- Moisture issues can also bring in flies and other pests, so use dehumidifiers and fix leaky plumbing to reduce excess humidity.
- Regularly clean up your yard and remove any garbage, organic debris, and droppings from pets.
- Always keep pet food stored indoors in airtight containers.
- Keep kitchen spaces cleaned which include cleaning up food and drink spills right after they happen and doing dirty dishes daily.
- Remove excess foliage from around your property.
- Fix or replace broken screens in doors and windows to keep flies out. You can also install door sweeps and weather stripping around the house.
The Best Way To Handle Fly Infestations
While it’s helpful to take steps on your own to prevent flies, the overall most effective way to keep them away from your home is with help from the professionals at Aruza Pest Control. We provide ongoing residential pest control plans that will remove any current fly issues and also ensure that these pesky pests don’t return.